FY24 Grants Awarded – Mini Grants Available
The PWPHA Grant Program is a source of funding designed to assist and encourage the preservation of historical, archaeological, natural, and cultural resources and support economic development through heritage tourism within the boundaries of the PWP Heritage Area. The Canal Place Preservation and Development Authority (CPPDA) is the management entity for the PWP Heritage Area and therefore approves projects and administers the Grants Program. These Grants are for non-capital or programming activities only and may not be used for administrative expenses or any “bricks or mortar” projects.
PWPHA Grants funding amounts will be from $500 to $5,000 with a “One to One” cash match.
- Applicant is a local jurisdiction or non-profit
- Proposed project is consistent with the interpretive theme of transportation as described in the Canal Place Heritage Area Management Plan. Please contact the office for a copy of the management plan.
- Utilizes collaborative partnerships
- Enhances heritage tourism visitation
- Applicant can provide one to one cash match
- Demonstrate ability of applicant to initiate, administer and complete project within proposed timeframe, including the submission of the final report
- Applicant, or project location, is within the boundaries of the PWPHA (please ask if unsure if you are within the boundary)
- Project must not begin before the grant award is announced
- Applicant organization is in good standing with the state of Maryland
- PWPHA and the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority must be acknowledged and logos (provided by Canal Place) must appear on any materials produced or in any publicity for the funded project/program/exhibit. Failure to acknowledge as indicated may result in forfeiture of up to 100% of mini-grant award. Drafts of any printed material must be submitted to PWPHA for approval before completion.
- Canal Place/PWPHA reserves rights to use images and other materials connected with funded grant project/program/product, including use of printed materials in downloadable form on CP/PWPHA’s website(s) and/or social media.
Applicants should contact the heritage area Executive Director, Deidra Ritchie, to discuss potential mini grant projects before they begin the application. Applications are now being done on a “first come, first served” basis. Until the funding is gone applications can continue to be submitted. At this time, all projects and reporting need to be submitted to the Canal Place/PWPHA offices by May 31, 2024, for the FY24 grant round. An additional change to previous grants is that the money will be disbursed upon completion of the grant.
Evaluation and award selection are based on the completed application and eligible heritage area criteria. Please note: No grant funds may be expended before the date of grant award notification. If the Project is completed for an amount less than that reflected in the original Project Budget, the award amount of the Grant will be reduced. Final grant reporting requirements are to be submitted no later than May 31, 2024. Time extensions for grants must be requested in writing to the Executive Director.
As noted above awarded grant funds will be disbursed at the completion of the grant and after the receipt of a final report, documentation of funds spent (invoices, detailed receipts, etc.) and an invoice from grant awardees. Please note: as part of grantee’s final report, grantee must provide financial documentation to PWPHA of all expenditures of PWPHA grant funds and all cash contributions utilized to meet these requirements. Grantee’s contributions may include funds derived from other non-State public or private sources; provided however, that no State funds are used for any part of the Grantee’s Contribution.
The following types of activities are eligible to receive Mini Grant funding:
|•Feasibility and Planning Studies|
•Other planning activities that support the Certified Heritage Area
•Wayfinding Signage – Pedestrian only
•Educational Programs and Materials
•Other interpretive activities that support the Certified Heritage Area
|Programming (Preference is given to new, or pilot, programs rather than ongoing activities)|
Time is of the essence so don’t delay-contact us today for your application!
PWPHA Mini Grant Guidelines can be found here!
PWPHA Mini Grant Application can be found here!
PWPHA Mini Grant Final Report can be found here!